It’s a well known fact how difficult it is to ride a motorcycle in winter. Some bike riders dread even short rides on his or her motorcycle during the season due to the fact that the cold intensifies on a motorcycle. As a result, maintaining a grip on the throttle becomes next to impossible while the snow makes it hard for the rider to browse with ease. This makes riding a motorcycle dangerous.
Precautionary Actions to take
The actions given below will help any motorcycle rider who’s planning on making a journey on their bike in hard cold weathers.
1) Layer up: The most obvious precautionary step that each and every rider should take is to layer up like an onion. Wear a motorcycle suit with other apparel items like a leather coat to keep them warm. Many companies specialize in inner wear for cold weather, and every rider should invest in some as they have the potential of keeping the rider warm as it’s freezing.
2) Gloves: Keeping the hands warm is crucial as most body heat escapes from the hands. Every rider should wear sturdy gloves which will trap the body heat. Wearing gloves will also protect the hands from freezing which is very dangerous.
3) Visor: Another issue riders face during winters is the fact that due to moisture, the visor frequently fogs up. This clouds visibility and makes driving extremely dangerous. Riders can invest in helmets that have fog proof visor or wear a mask inside the helmet together with a windproof balaclava.
4) Drive slow: Cold tires have less grip which makes breaking more difficult as the motorcycle starts slipping. 1 precautionary step riders can take would be to drive slow and give themselves ample distance from the vehicle in front of them.
5) Heated gear: For riders who plan on driving in extremely cold temperatures, it’s recommended that they invest in heated apparel. There are electrically heated vests, coats, pants, socks and gloves that are powered by the motorcycle’s electrical system to keep the rider warm no matter what the weather is. The only drawback to this gear is that it’s connected to the motorcycle and a number of riders have a tendency to forget that fact and break apart the wiring as they walk away. The other choice is battery powered equipment. These things will produce heat comparable to electric gear except battery life is limited to 6 to 8 hrs at max temperature. Another drawback to battery powered equipment is you must remember to recharge the device prior to reuse.
6) Other apparel: Riders may also put money into winter protection gear that can help provide protection against the extreme cold, these items such as foot warmers, detachable windscreen and hand guards. These items are available at an attractive price and are readily available in the market.
Most of all, if you find yourself on an icy street, don’t freak out. Drive slowly and keep the throttle at a constant speed. Additionally, make sure your motorcycle is prepped and ready for the drive. Finally, invest in the essential apparel mentioned previously. This equipment will help protect every bike rider in the cold ensuring a comfortable ride.